tcby and mrs. fields are taste buds royalty
You would be hard pressed to find someone who hasn’t heard of TCBY or Mrs. Fields. That’s because we’ve been delighting taste buds for over 30 years. And, that’s not just good news for your tummy. It’s also good news because we use our years of industry experience to help our franchisees achieve success.
Our name stands for The Country’s Best Yogurt. That sentiment was true back when we started in 1981, and it’s still true 34 years later. TCBY isn’t just about making great frozen yogurt or continuing to push ourselves to innovate in the market, although we do both. We also believe it’s our job to provide our franchisees with the infrastructure, resources, and industry experts to help them open and operate a successful business that will bring them joy for years to come. This approach has earned us recognition as the segment leader in franchisee support and has grown our parent company, Famous Brands International, to include over 880 franchisees in 16 countries across the TCBY and Mrs. Fields brands.
a leader in yogurt sales and brand awareness
TCBY continues as the category leader in the $1.7 billion frozen yogurt industry, with an impressive brand awareness that’s over 90%. Here are a few other tasty facts:
- There are more than 360 TCBY stores operating in the United States alone.
- TCBY offers the most extensive product line in the frozen treats category.
- TCBY invests heavily in franchisee training and support systems.
- New franchisees attend training in Broomfield, Colorado, to learn the latest processes and tools available to help them succeed.
- TCBY started franchising only one short year after it opened in 1981.
- In 2000, TCBY and Mrs. Fields joined forces to become Mrs. Fields Famous Brands.
- Using the Franchise Support Center and Mrs. Fields Famous Brands University, franchisees have a central point for corporate contact.
frozen yogurt industry facts
According to IBIS World Research:
- Frozen yogurt revenues surpassed $1.6 Billion in 2011 and have remained robust with projected growth as the economy improves, the unemployment rate declines, and consumers continue to spend more money on eating out.
- Demand from the frozen yogurt stores industry will likely remain stable over the next five years, as increasingly health-conscious consumers and new markets drive growth.
- Sales are projected to grow an average of 2.4 percent a year between 2011 and 2016.
- The self-serve share of the frozen yogurt market has grown to 20.7
Yes, there really is a Mrs. Fields, and her name is Debbi. She began baking and selling her famous chocolate chip cookies back in 1977 in Palo Alto, California, when she was only 20 years old. She knew that once people tasted her fresh baked cookies made with premium, fresh ingredients, they would be hooked. But, even she couldn’t have anticipated that her cookies would become the most recognized and sought after premier cookie brand in the world. That popularity has never waned. Here are a few more tasty facts:
- There are approximately 280 Mrs. Fields franchises operating in the United States alone.
- Mrs. Fields began franchising stores in 1990.
- Mrs. Fields’ founder, Debbi Fields, wrote a biographical book called One Smart Cookie.
- Mrs. Fields currently employs over 4,000 employees.
- Despite persistent urban legends, Mrs. Fields’ famous recipe has never been sold to the general public.
- Providing free samples to potential customers has remained a cornerstone of the Mrs. Fields business since the very first store was opened in 1977.
- Mrs. Fields has developed The Mrs. Fields Famous Brands University, located in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Mrs. Fields has over 30 years of brand success and almost 20 years of franchising experience.
- A Franchise Business Consultant (“FBC”) is assigned to every franchisee.
three revenue streams
As part of our Dual Branding Concept, when you buy a TCBY, you get a Mrs. Fields FREE. That’s 2 for the price of 1, but you really gain access to 3 revenue streams:
- TCBY Frozen Yogurt – a variety of unique and delicious self-serve or hand-scooped flavors in addition to cakes, pies, sundaes, and shakes
- Mrs. Fields Bakery – fresh baked cookies, nibblers, cookie cakes, brownies, savory pastries, shakes, and coffee
- Mrs. Fields Gifting Stations – beautifully wrapped and fully customized options for delicious gift giving
You get three proven revenue streams under one roof for just one franchise fee, making you one smart cookie! And, our new gifting stations are supported by our $50 million mrsfields.com business in Salt Lake City, Utah. This addition combined with the two iconic brands is a true differentiator. The gifting stations are also an excellent B2B model. To learn more, visit our Gifting page.
TCBY provides financing assistance for franchisees through multiple financing partners, including traditional lending sources, lending networks, and brokers.
Please visit our Finance page to learn more.